
There's a great scene in Penelope Spheeris's documentary The Decline of Western Civilization where a guy named Phranc says:
I've got excellent news for the world--there is no such thing as new wave. It does not exist. It's a figment of some lame cunts imagination. there was never any such thing as new wave--just a polite thing say when you are trying to explain that you are not into the boring old rock and roll, but you didn't dare to say punk, because you were afraid to get kicked out of the fucking party and they wouldn't give you coke anymore. There's new music, there's new underground sound, there's noise, there's punk, there's power pop, there's ska, there's rockabilly....but new wave doesn't mean shit!
It took a long time to come, but I'm starting to think punk rock doesn't exist anymore either. The more I see it and the further away I get from it, it all looks like versions of Catcher In the Rye, On the Road, and The Outsiders. It's just youth culture.
And if it is just youth culture, it would explain how the director of The Decline of Western Civilization would go on to direct Wayne's World and The Little Rascals.
No comments:
Post a Comment