Christopher thinks interesting is a cheap word. Grad students are always finding things interesting. Or are interested in whatever it is they are thinking about.
Hogwash!
Grad students may be interested in some things but are only curious about others, find them strange, or have been studying them as of late.
I guess the point being it's a redundant way to start a discussion because of course yr interested in it or else you wouldn't be talking about it.
So, not that I'm interested in it or anything, but the thing about cellphones is that they make you invisible or so we think.
They seem to take up a curious space in our lives. I stood at the corner of Dartmouth and 11th talking to Rob when Bert arrived and lingered for awhile. Was it he or I that really felt invisible? I've been making an effort to acknowledge people when I'm on the phone, I don't think it's rude unless the conversation is extremely private/serious. But few really are.
The thing about cellphones that is much harder to do is pretend that people who are on a cellphone aren't, to make yourself appear more visible. To let people know that there are things going on in the world, that time hasn't stopped so you can make a call.
It's time.
2 comments:
I've noticed that people are leaving those bluetooth things in their ears all day long, which fascinates me. I like to say that things are fascinating rather than interesting. It's slightly more pretentious, but also less used.
i like to say i was STRUCK by that idea. Or this book really had an IMPACT on me. i agree interesting as a word sucks. it is so BLASE. (sorry i cant put the french accent over the e where it should be... but maybe you can imagine it.)
Post a Comment