The internet meme seems to be a completely new phenomenon only made possible by the type of logic that surrounds hypertext. As a form of Intertextuality, it's about how things point to other things.
Like how blogs only ever link to other blogs.
And as I succumb to the cycle myself, I'm remind of ouroboros
The New York Times book blog Paper Cuts features a internet feature that risks of being played out. As Dan Kois proves in his Salon article "Beyonce, Your Mixtape Sucks," nothing revelatory is learned from the taste of celebrities. But Paper Cuts attempts to prove Kois and general consensus wrong. The weekly feature Living With Music has semi-famous literary types talking about music. Llearning that Sarah Vowell has a soft spot for Jonathan Richman is somehow secret, but maybe a little obvious.
In a separate interview, Vowell was asked this question and I love her answer. Sorry, no link is provided because I have forgotten where it has come from.
What makes someone a New Yorker?
"Daydreaming of L.A.?"
This quote very much reminds me of Joan Didion. She unintentionally and in no way mean spirited or maybe even unaware, eliminates the space between New York and Los Angeles. As if, in the world of Joan Didion, there is only New York and Los Angeles.
As "Another Transplanted Californian," I realize that Sarah Vowell makes my assumptions true.
1 comment:
In an unrelated note, I've added that book you recommended to my ever growing reading list. I like the flow of this article as well.
Post a Comment