2.26.2008

On Metapunk

Bomb The Music Industry! released a record in 2006 that I missed. Goodbye Cool World at first listen sounds like a leftover third wave ska band. But repeated listens reveals a sound bordering on post-ska. While post-ska as a genre does not technically exist, one wonders what became of countless mid 90s ska bands.

By the way, can some help me track down records by DC's The Jumpstarts?

On the track "King of Minneapolis Pts. I and II," Bomb The Music Industry appear to echo the work of Minneapolis natives, The Hold Steady. Substituting punk and hardcore youth crews for the pseudo indie stomping grounds of Hold Steady songs, BtMI tackle metamusic commentary in a similar way. These narrative devices are layered with meaning allowing the song to function as a commentary on the scene, the singer and the lis-scene-er.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there!
Jumpstarts are actually from NC but we used to play DC all the time. The Just A Little Bit EP is long out of print but if you hit me up (swangin2@yahoo.com) I can probably send you a burned copy. Thanks!
SHANE
www.myspace.com/unodoseproductions