Drawing on the sound of early SST albums by The Minutemen, Black Flag and Husker Du, Parts & Labor reconstruct rather than deconstruct the genre of hardcore punk. But this record is missing the anger that fueled much of the hardcore punk scene. In this way, the positive songs are uplifting and reminiscent of later Dischord bands or posi-core. I think Parts & Labor have been miscategorized as a noise band. While they use elements of noise, it is not for the purpose of structure, power or texture; instead, it’s the sound of a band sonically and intentionally interested in changing the sound of punk rock. Replacing heavy distortion, poor production, and cheap equipment with layers of synthetically and analogously produced noise. 8.01.2007
Parts & Labor - Mapmaker
Drawing on the sound of early SST albums by The Minutemen, Black Flag and Husker Du, Parts & Labor reconstruct rather than deconstruct the genre of hardcore punk. But this record is missing the anger that fueled much of the hardcore punk scene. In this way, the positive songs are uplifting and reminiscent of later Dischord bands or posi-core. I think Parts & Labor have been miscategorized as a noise band. While they use elements of noise, it is not for the purpose of structure, power or texture; instead, it’s the sound of a band sonically and intentionally interested in changing the sound of punk rock. Replacing heavy distortion, poor production, and cheap equipment with layers of synthetically and analogously produced noise.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Well sir, I think you are tightening up your reviewing quite well. I will, of course, read this again before i actually have solid "suggestions" or comments,but at first read, quite smashing. I'll have to check out some myspaces in addition to reading it again.
Post a Comment