4.17.2007

On Piracy

I'm still not entirely convinced I wrote this review, so it may be illegal for me to post this without permission. I found it in an email I wrote to the Music Director at WCUR in November of 2004 and I liked it.

The Walkmen - The Christmas Party

At the office Christmas party you have to drink quite a bit of eggnog; it's either to talk to the pretty girl in accounting or tolerate coworkers in a social setting. Either way, you're doing something you're going to regret tonight.

The office is all decorated with dollar store decorations which are actually more depressing then no decorations at all. Somewhere a song you've heard more than your favorite song in the whole world plays. And it's Jingle Bell Rock or Wonderful Christmas Time or some shit like that.

The Walkmen, Brooklyn's finest, have provided the soundtrack to your misery and this song may be even better than whatever Santa has in store for you this year.

With their free Download from their website, The Walkmen's Christmas Party is the Anti-Xmas song that will make you love Xmas songs. It may not have you tuning into B101 anytime soon, but it's damn good. That good.

Imagine Bing Crosby or Nat King Cole, drunk on Rum and Holiday Spice Pepsi, backed by cavernous reverb and the Walkmen's staple toy piano. This is will be a Christmas party you won't forget.

No comments: