4.19.2007

If I Had a Penny For My Thoughts I'd Be a Millionaire

I'm kind of disappointed to hear that the Paul's Boutique book in the excellent 33 and 1/3 series has been written. I'm looking forward to reading it; I was just kinda wishing to write it myself. Paul’s Boutique has always been an important album for me. It holds a very firm spot in my top 5 and always sounds as fresh as the first time I’ve heard it. As of late, I have felt a little closer to the album; hearing it in the way it was made, a product of their environment. So it goes, Paul’s Boutique is about the Beastie Boys first experiences on the west coast. Them driving around Los Angeles, listening to tapes of the Dust Brothers.

And sitting down in the basement of Thatcher Hall, where the Dust Brothers met as DJs at KSPC, I’ve been working on a demo of a much different kind. I can’t help but feel a little closer to that album.

Of course if I were to write the best book in the 33 and 1/3 series it would be much better than these few scattered thoughts.

I wanted to write about Peanut Butter Wolf’s Remix of Shadrach, because I think it comes superclose to this idea I had that buried beneath each Beastie Boys record is maybe the best Hardcore album you’ve never heard. I think this remix of Shadrach comes closest to what I’m talking about. Too bad I’m too lazy to learn how to post MP3s to my blog, but you can find it on The Hype Machine.

This Peanut Butter Wolf remix is supposedly on a new LP only Beasties comp called B-sides and Bullshit Volume 2, released on a label I’ve never heard of called Grand Slam. The only place I’ve been able to track it down is here. I don’t know if it’s bootlegged or what, but it seems superhardtofind.

What I don’t like about the Peanut Butter Wolf Remix is that it gets rid of the best parts of the song, the samples. But then again, I always thought of Paul’s Boutique as more of a Dust Brothers record than the Beastie Boys.

No comments: