5.14.2008

On MSCL

There's a way the My So-Called Life series works as an alternate past for Felicity (if J.J. Abrams can make alternate futures for Felicity why can't I make alternate pasts?) but Felicity could never be My So-Called Life: College Years.

To think about Ben and Felicity getting together in high school would have Jordan Catalano like results. I'd like to not think of Noel as a Brian Krakow like sophomore, but it kinda works. Watching MSCL now I don't have to obsess over Angela obsesssing over Jordan. I can pay attention to the little things: Rayanne's imitation of Angela in her Our Town audition, the flirting of Graham with Hallie Lowenthal, the strange acting choices of Jeff Perry as Mr. Katimski.

I still don't understand the last episode and one can argue that it is not really a last episode, but it does work as an ending even if it wasn't intentional. This girl at the bar that I was talking to says the final scene is where Angela upon learning Brian wrote her the letter, realizes she has feelings for him. I'm not sure if I buy that.

Still comparing the main storyline involving Angela and Jordan's relationship with Brian's interactions with Angela and Delia Fisher, the two seem similiar in that they seem oblivious to this economy of teen sexualtity that everyone else is willing to participate in.

Some call it innocence. That's why Jordan and Rayanne and Ricky and Sharon and Brian all love Angela.




MOVIE LIST:

Sweeney Todd - 2007
(Becomes worse not better by fast-forwarding through all the songs)
Material Girls - 2007 (Haylie and Hilary Duff played each other's part. This never happens with the Olson Twins)
My Blueberry Nights - 2008 (Tom Waits divided by Ethan Hawke equals Silk Stalkings minus sex)
They Live - 1988 (Ideology: a monster or more scary than monsters? You discuss)
Shampoo - 1975 (What’s it all about Beatty? The Kierkegaardian Narrative strikes again)
Alien 3 - 1992 (Rethinking Fincher's oeuvre, Se7en is his first film, Alien 3 is just a 2 hour music video)
Forgetting Sarah Marshall - 2008 (disappointing that in the U.S. Russell Brand is now more famous than Noel Fielding)
Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay - 2008 (Structurally identical to the first film, but better)
Atonement - 2007 (Proof, that there are still stories left to be told in the world)

No comments: